Friday, September 23, 2011

Glue Bomb Restoration

I vividly remember my mom buying this model of the 1979 Indy Mustang pace car for me when I was probably 10 years old from the local grocery store. Remember when even small grocery stores had a small toy section, and even small toy sections had model kits? Anyway, I put it together with my amazing 10 year old skills (lots of glue, brush on paint out of the Testors square bottles) and played with it. Yes, played with it. Rolled it around the kitchen floor, somehow worked it into the Star Wars universe. You get the idea.

Anyway, after it's toy service, it sat for years in a box. Shocking, really, that it never got tossed. At one point I think I thought someday I'll restore it, but never really got to it. Until about a year ago.

As you can see in the before and after shots, it was quite a transformation. Amazingly, most of the parts were still either on the car or had migrated to my spare parts box. I had to do some scratch work on the headlights, and a fellow modeler on a model car forum came to my rescue with a set of mirrors from his parts box. (Don't you love the modelling community?)

Some automotive pewter paint seemed to match, add in some Fred Cady decals, and voila. The glass is still in kinda rough shape, but it'll have to do. The only other thing I might still do is get some seat pattern decals that pop up on ebay from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment