Still, it seems customary at this time of year to evaluate the year past and look ahead to the year to come. I won't dwell on 2011. Like all years, there was good and bad in all aspects of life, including the hobby aspect. Suffice to say I think I got more games in than most recent years, I made the all-or-nothing decision to restore the Mustang and I added some great kits to the model collection. (If only I had more time to work on them...)
|Where the magic happens. What awaits in 2012?|
- Finish the Mustang. This is a hard and fast goal. A priority. I need to follow up with the body man to see how that's going. I've kind of stalled on reassembling the engine, what with the cold and dark weather, the holidays, etc. I have a bad feeling a lot of that is just going to sit there until spring.
- Finish a few model cars. I've had the Foyt Olds and Foyt '64 Watson on the bench a long time, and honestly it shouldn't take much to finish either. Oh, for a quiet Saturday afternoon. After that, I would like to do the '78 Unser Indy winner and the '55 Sweikert Indy winner, at least. Despite all of my many hobbies, Indy remains my true passion, and I really would like to devote more time to this aspect of my hobbies.
- On the game front:
- With a colleague, we have unofficially set a goal of putting on an AWI game at Spartacon 2013. All these years of participating, it's probably time to put one on ourselves. This gives us a year to prepare. The Weitzel's Mill game we did last spring is a possibility. AWI has long been one of my favorites, and while I still have figs to paint, I have my eye on some Perry minis and some Eurekas that could be in the budget in 2012.
- Continue collecting and painting aircraft for CY6. I'm really enjoying these. I might start getting some WW1.
- WW2 skirmish: Had an enjoyable game just last week, so this is top of mind at the moment. Russo-Finnish is basically done, with the exception of some odds and ends. I debate about getting vehicles. Maybe. I also hope to continue early war Germans and British, and may consider purchasing French. This is an area I wish I had a regular opponent willing to do a side.
- WW1: This is something that's recently perked back to the top. I have a lot of 15s, and am considering rebasing for skirmish. We'll see. Not really a priority, but an intriguing possibility.
- ACW: I have a bunch to paint. Always would like to buy more, but I really need to get that pile down!
- Liberators: Started in the fall, haven't made much progress. I'd like to revisit as time permits. This might be long-term.
- Age of Sail: A recent endeavor, but an interesting one. I have a list of ships I'd like to get...
- WW2 naval: Honestly, this wouldn't take much to "finish." I have some British I did many years ago, and should just spring for the Germans (i.e., Bismarck) and call it good. A quick and easy game, too, which is appealing.
- Dark Ages: Still languishing in the box, perhaps awaiting someone to get one of the exciting new rules out? No plans to expand or do much of anything in 2012, but I hate to get rid of them.
- Pirates: Why do I keep these?
- Wild West: Likewise. No plans to do much with them at the moment.
- Aztecs: Again, no plans. Pretty, though. Hate to sell these as well.
- Ancient Greeks: A few Xystons still languishing in a box. Probably still not a priority in 2012, though you never know where inspiration will come from.
So there. Way more than enough to keep me busy. Add in the occasional bit of travel, spending time with the kids, reading, gardening, etc., and boredom should not be an issue!