Monday, May 14, 2012

A Productive Weekend

This was a weekend for getting things done – hobby related and otherwise.

On Saturday, I got to hang out with the girls a while Saturday morning while my wife went garage saleing, then after I got some outdoor work done, they actually zonked out for a nap for a couple hours. That’s been a rarity lately, and it ended up being my longest uninterrupted time at the bench in weeks. Probably a month and a half or more, if I really think about it.

I used the time to work mostly on some CY6 items that had been languishing, and start some new CY6 projects. More on those in a future update, but this week I’ll at least try to share some of what I finished, like these two P-40Bs. These are the new Raiden minis, and they are simply stunning. While I can’t claim to have seen every 1/285 or 1/300 aircraft out there, these probably rank as the nicest in my collection. So far I picked up a half a dozen, with these two painted up to represent Pearl Harbor defenders Ken Taylor and George Welch. Somewhat limited in terms of scenario options, perhaps, but nice looking aircraft. The other four are slated for Flying Tigers duty. I’ve started them, but they’re not finished yet. These were painted with Testors/Polly S neutral grey undersurfaces and olive drab upper. National insignia are from Dom's decals, the others from I-94.

And to top it all off, I even got the garden planted this weekend! We planted the usual items – tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, green beans, peas, lettuce, carrots, onions, zucchini, squash and pumpkins. It may be a little early, but as was the case last year, the last part of May tends to be busy for us, and before you know it, it’s June and getting late. So I’m very glad we got it in. It has done very well the last few years, so I think we can look forward to some tasty goodies. We also have plans to upgrade our herb garden, so we’ll see how that goes. Oh, and my wife had some new idea about planting with Epsom salts that is supposed to act as a natural fertilizer. We’ll see how that goes. I’m also thinking about investing in some nicer tomato cages. You can see I didn’t put any up yet – I have those old circular, flimsy ones that are pain to put in and don’t work that great anyway.

About the only thing I didn’t get to this weekend is I do have a batch of beer that needs bottling. Maybe some evening. Yeah, right.

1 comment: