Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Space Cadet

I guess I can be a bit of a space cadet at times. At least in terms of focusing on one hobby!

So just in case I needed something different, I was inspired over the weekend to order this collection of US manned space launch vehicles from Squadron. It's an old kit, AMT's Men in Space set, and includes five rockets from the golden age (read: early days) of manned space flight: the Mercury Redstone, Mercury Atlas, Gemini Titan II, Saturn 1B and the massive Saturn V. Even in 1/200 scale, apparently the Saturn V checks in at about 21 inches high.

I also ordered a replacement set of decals from Indycals. If this project goes well, I'm looking at a Hasegawa 1/200 scale shuttle to complete the set.

Part of the inspiration came from plans to visit the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama, this coming weekend. We're heading to Florida for a week, and decided to stop to see an old friend (and best man in my wedding) who works at NASA there. We don't have a ton of time, but have scheduled a tour with him.

I think I've just been getting burned out on some other hobby aspects, and just need something different on the table.

Updates as events warrant!

1 comment: