Friday, April 10, 2015

More Tramping About the Peninsula

I'm a bit tardy on this, as this took place about three weeks ago, but better late than never, right? (OK, maybe not exactly the phrase to use on a battlefield, but I digress.)

These photos are from the Black Powder game put on by Jon at Rider's in Flint back in March, the one where Sharpe's Rifles were watching the Spartans beat the Cavaliers on the "big screen" in the village square.

Before we go any farther, I must make one thing clear: I DID NOT MISPLACE ANY HIGHLANDERS! That alone is an accomplishment.

It was a fairly straightforward scenario - British and French fighting over a river crossing at a small town somewhere in Spain. No word on if it rained in the plains. (Groan. It's Friday. It's been a long week. What can I say?)

My British did better on the command rolls in the beginning, and I was able to quickly advance over the bridge and establish a position with my light artillery and things were looking good. Then, not so much. I had one bad roll that did not allow one of my units to advance as far as I wanted, leaving an exposed flank. Jon took advantage, and things got bogged down between the buildings. It became a bit of a slogfest from there, until we ran out of time with the issue still very much in doubt. As I did hold the river crossing, which was the objective, I shall claim at minimum a minor victory. Would have been better if the French left completely, but it could have happened with more time!

This is an interesting game, and I'm slowly starting to get my head around it, but should play more. We'd like to maybe try it with some ACW. However, I've also been told you are not really a wargamer until you do Napoleonics, which very nearly led me to purchase some Russians, but so far I have been able to resist. So many other ongoing projects!

Without further ado, some photos, all of which show off Jon's ridiculous talent with a brush. None are mine, sorry to say! He even scratchbuilt the buildings!








No comments:

Post a Comment